or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) Ice and Satnav questions

SMEG, SMEG+ total confusion

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
dzidek23   
Mon Dec 27 2021, 06:19am
Member No: #59244
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and I'm confused but the number of threads about SMEG, the update and possible benefits/side effects of such update.

Recently I bought C4 Picasso Airdream (2014) with SMEG 5.0.D.R2.

The system works relatively well and I can't really complain, apart from the lag in bluetooth audio stream. There's about 1-2 sec delay between what's played and what comes out from the speakers. There's probably also a slight delay when I talk on the phone.

Searching the forum gives me conflicting information. One post says upgrade only when desperate, another suggests that there are no issues with upgrading to the latest version.

I come from IT world and firmware upgrades are absolutely natural to me. However, I'm struggling with version numbers and firmware available for Citroën and Peugeot (they look the same and can be found all over the net).

What is the latest fw version C4 Picasso with the SMEG+?

Would someone be able to explain what 5.0.D.R2 stands for?
5 = SMEG+
0 = fw version
D = ?
Rx = release?

Finally, I know this is rather naive question, but has anyone got a list of fw with subsequent changes?

Cheerio!

gittos   
Mon Dec 27 2021, 04:37pm
Member No: #30055
FW updates are usually just bug fixes, rarely are there any upgrades. As far as I know Citroen/Peugeot updates are the same.
Richard_C   
Tue Dec 28 2021, 07:16am
Member No: #46470
I have never upgraded my 2015 version, which is R3. Benefits seem marginal, risks seem high: if it does go wrong - rare but possible - the whole unit may have to be replaced. One 'bug' mine has is that of you have radio/music on mute, take a phone call or get a traffic announcement then hang up it un-mutes, but that is such a trivial bug I'm not bothered. As far as I know no updates make the traffic news interrupts on BBC radio work properly. These days I use a phone in a vent holder and let google maps do the work of getting me places.

You must do any system or map updates (if you have the mapping), with the engine running. The Citroen energy-save mode which turns the system off cuts in remarkably quickly if its just on battery. If you do update and your car has engine start/stop as standard, once the engine is running go into settings on the screen and disable start stop before you do anything else: it re-enables every time you start the engine.

In the era of our cars and since, the Peugeot systems were the same as Citroen aside from the occasional menu button layour change, look for anything on the 3008 or 5008 models which are the most similar. There seems to be more Peugeot forums. There is a French Citroen forum - planete-citroen.com - which is very active and may well have the information you want. It's in French but mostly easy to follow and google chrome will translate it for you (after a fashion, but good enough). You want the C4 Picasso II/Spacetourer sub forum and I'm pretty certain you will find the answers you want. Like any forum you get grumbles and complaints which might make you think the cars are worse than they really are but you can igniore most of that.

You may know this already, but mid 2016 both Citroen and Peugeot did a complete change to the system - the screens look similar, what lies beneath is different. If you do search further make sure you are looking at SMEG systems between 2013 and early 2016 not the variously named connect/TomTom stuff that came later.
dzidek23   
Mon Jan 03 2022, 04:10pm
Member No: #59244
Thank you gittos and Richard_C,

I braved it and updated my car with the latest (5.43) firmware. This was a quick and relatively easy process.

No significant changes to the original FW but I did notice reduction in cold start time of the 7inch display and button response time. Haven't had a chance to try bluetooth and phone connection, but I'd be really surprised if this would worsen.
neka   
Mon Jan 31 2022, 01:02pm
Member No: #58768
I just bought the same car (2014 airdream Picasso) and updated both the SMEG+ and the maps. Everything is working great and it's nice to have maps that aren't 7 years old anymore.

There is a lot of great help on the peugeot forums as well.
Especially here: - Click Here -
1 User said Thank You to neka for this Post :
 BigJohnD (01 Feb 2022 : 10:47)
EJCitroen   
Thu Mar 03 2022, 03:16pm
Member No: #55487
I totally see your confusion around this. Many of us do the upgrade from SMEG to NAC simply to gain features like carplay, AA, better navigation and improved speed etc.

In our case, we had a bug with the USB playback which drove us towards the upgrade even more.

If you can do the upgrade for a reasonable price I think it is certainly worth it and it is relatively risk-free - although I would recommend disconnecting the battery just in case. The chances of messing anything major up are small.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member